AfterLogic Forum : AfterLogic WebMail Lite 7
Subject Topic: Feedback and feature suggestions Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
zoot

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 25 February 2014 at 6:29am | IP Logged Quote zoot

Hello

I'm evaluating WebMail Lite as an alternative to Roundcube. Some feedback and suggestions follow.

I will also proceed to test WebMail Pro as a possible alternative to my business' current modified Roundcube installation, but if any of the issues reported below are present (in the Pro Version), we'll have to wait until they're available.

1. When sending via SMTP fails, showing the actual reason in the flash message would be very useful.

2. When adding an IMAP folder, I've had to manually refresh the page to see it shown. Also, When adding a folder, it's shown at the base of the folder list and not in alphabetical order, where one would expect to find it.

3. The scroll bars are far too slim; it's often difficult to 'grab' them when using a mouse, or touchpad.

4. What is missing the most for myself, is the ability to view each message's raw headers, if desired.

5. A settings option should exist to disable automatically marking a message as read, when selected.

6. An "edit as new" option should be clearly available in any folder. Having to forward a message and edit out the "Original Message" line is inconvenient.

7. Why isn't there a reply and reply-all option when within the Sent folder (which should compose to the original recipients)? Again, this is something I often need to do, perhaps to remind the recipients, or resend a clean message, instead of having to forward it and add the recipients again.

8. The interface is not usable on a small screen; it's not responsive. Is the fully-fledged Webmail Pro responsive? I'll be testing that soon.

Thanks for reading.
Back to Top View zoot's Profile Search for other posts by zoot

Alex
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 25 February 2014 at 7:36am | IP Logged Quote Alex

Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts on this.
Quote:

1. When sending via SMTP fails, showing the actual reason in the flash message would be very useful.

It worked this way before but due to numerous requests of admins we removed this. Admins often don't want to let users see what exactly happens behind the scenes. They prefer to read logs for that.

Quote:

2. When adding an IMAP folder, I've had to manually refresh the page to see it shown.

Perhaps, it just takes some time to refresh. Did you try to wait for, let's say, 20 seconds?

Quote:

Also, When adding a folder, it's shown at the base of the folder list and not in alphabetical order, where one would expect to find it.

Who is that one? For instance, for me it's great that folders are in the order I add them. Would be awful to see inbox somewhere in the middle of the list or something like that.

Quote:

3. The scroll bars are far too slim; it's often difficult to 'grab' them when using a mouse, or touchpad.

They have standard Apple-style length..

Quote:

A settings option should exist to disable automatically marking a message as read, when selected.

Do you see this option in common mail clients? Looks pretty specific one.

Quote:

4. What is missing the most for myself, is the ability to view each message's raw headers, if desired.

We had this feature before, but removed as most clients found it useless. Whenever headers are needed, you can download the message and open in in a text editor.

Quote:

6. An "edit as new" option should be clearly available in any folder. Having to forward a message and edit out the "Original Message" line is inconvenient.
7. Why isn't there a reply and reply-all option when within the Sent folder (which should compose to the original recipients)? Again, this is something I often need to do, perhaps to remind the recipients, or resend a clean message, instead of having to forward it and add the recipients again.

We're making this for future version.

Quote:

8. The interface is not usable on a small screen; it's not responsive. Is the fully-fledged Webmail Pro responsive? I'll be testing that soon.

I widely use it on iPad. No responsiveness issues. Could you clarify this in more detail?

Also, if you think some features are important, please feel free to create a suggestion at afterlogic.uservoice.com

If some feature gets many votes, we'll implement it (as we already did for some of them).

Regards,
Alex
Back to Top View Alex's Profile Search for other posts by Alex

zoot

Posted: 26 February 2014 at 12:39am | IP Logged Quote zoot

Thanks for responding Alex, please see my responses, below.

Not showing SMTP errors to users:

I disagree. It's more time consuming hunting for an error than asking a customer to report exactly what error they see. If your SMTP server is showing "behind the scenes" information, then something is wrong. The entire point of SMTP errors is to be clear to the sender as to what went wrong. Most Desktop mail clients show SMTP errors. Our SMTP relay server specifically outputs clear, human readable error messages, exactly for this purpose. What's better for a customer to see.

1. Sending error: Sorry, it didn't work out!
2. Sending error: Sorry, your message is too big.

Response 1. is annoying and pointless, whereas item 2 clarifies the issue.

IMAP folder refresh issue:

I'll test this a few more times and report back with more detail.

Folder order issue:

Let me clarify. It does actually order folders alphabetically, but I have an edge case, it seems.

I added a folder beginning with 'E' and it appears at the base of the list, whereas all others are in order. The preceding item begins with 'Z'.

Fictitious example:

- Antelope
- Foxes
- Monkeys
- Zebras
- Emus

I'll mail your support desk with details. The above is most certainly a bug.

The scroll bar is most definitelt too narrow (I'm talking about the width).

It's often a chore, trying to "grab it". Users are impatient and usability is key. Widening it by a few pixels would make the world of difference, as far as I'm concerned. When entering text into a response on this forum for example, the scroll bar to the right is a far more usable, practical width. Compare the two, it should be obvious then. See image, below.

A settings option should exist to disable automatically marking a message as read, when selected.

Alex: Do you see this option in common mail clients? Looks pretty specific one.

Yes, Thunderbird and Roundcube both support this, for example. It's certainly not specific.

Regarding my responsiveness comment; I said SMALL screen - an iPad isn't a small screen by any stretch of the imagination.

Example on a narrow smart phone screen, for example:

Try resizing your desktop browser window to slightly less than the full width; there's no dynamic reformatting to retain readability. The content stays off the screen, to the right. Your developers should understand this. I'll submit this to your support email address.

Alex
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 26 February 2014 at 6:55am | IP Logged Quote Alex

Quote:

Not showing SMTP errors to users:

I disagree. It's more time consuming hunting for an error than asking a customer to report exactly what error they see. If your SMTP server is showing "behind the scenes" information, then something is wrong. The entire point of SMTP errors is to be clear to the sender as to what went wrong.

It's both correct and incorrect at the same time.

- pros - when the server reports things correctly, it's a big help
- cons - when the server reports errors in the manner users can't understand, it's better to hide server messages. Most typical case: webmail is localized (e.g. Spanish) while mail server speaks English. Users get frustrated

So we decided to add a global setting to control this, and the admin of a particular installation will select what's best for them. Next version will have this setting.

Quote:
The scroll bar is most definitelt too narrow (I'm talking about the width).

Folks are using scrolling wheel and other methods to scroll window down. We treat scroll bar as indicator of current position, not as an actual tool to do scrolling.

Quote:
Regarding my responsiveness comment; I said SMALL screen

We have plans to build special layout for small screen devices. Can't promise this in the next version but we'll definitely do this.

Regards,
Alex
Back to Top View Alex's Profile Search for other posts by Alex

zoot

Posted: 26 February 2014 at 11:33pm | IP Logged Quote zoot

Alex wrote:

- pros - when the server reports things correctly, it's a big help
- cons - when the server reports errors in the manner users can't understand, it's better to hide server messages. Most typical case: webmail is localized (e.g. Spanish) while mail server speaks English. Users get frustrated

So we decided to add a global setting to control this, and the admin of a particular installation will select what's best for them. Next version will have this setting.

You most definitely have a point there! The global setting is a good idea.

Alex wrote:
Folks are using scrolling wheel and other methods to scroll window down. We treat scroll bar as indicator of current position, not as an actual tool to do scrolling.

We have a huge customer base, and a large percentage are stuck in old habits, like 'grabbing' scroll-bars and other habits built from older UI styles. If we chose to go with Webmail Pro, we'd most definitely have the scroll-bar widened.

Niyi

Posted: 14 November 2014 at 8:01am | IP Logged Quote Niyi

hello,

The issue with the missing 'Reply all' in the Sent folder still hasnt been fixed..
Back to Top View Niyi's Profile Search for other posts by Niyi

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 14 November 2014 at 8:07am | IP Logged Quote Igor

Yet, there was "Resend" feature added, and we believe it should work as a decent replacement in that folder.

--
Regards,
Igor, AfterLogic Support
Back to Top View Igor's Profile Search for other posts by Igor

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version