AfterLogic Forum : MailBee Objects
Subject Topic: ActiveX vs Net Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Luca

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 28 October 2006 at 10:49am | IP Logged Quote Luca

Hello,
.Net Objects version seem much more powerful, robust and feaure-packed than ActiveX version; since I don't want to switch to .Net, I wonder whether ActiveX version is going to be discontinued? Or will it be updated with some of the features now only on .Net versions?

Thank you
Back to Top View Luca's Profile Search for other posts by Luca

Alex
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 29 October 2006 at 6:00am | IP Logged Quote Alex

Although we plan to release MailBee Objects 5.5 (ActiveX) in the near future, this version will not be a major upgrade. There are might be a few minor updates in the future but I don't think MailBee Objects 6.0 will ever get released.

However, it's possible one of upcoming versions of MailBee.NET Objects will start to support ActiveX/COM. Although this will require .NET framework be installed on the computer, this is quite common nowdays. Also, starting from WinXP, COM via .NET implementation has a big advantage - no registration of ActiveX/COM dll in the registry required (DLL can be simply copied like it occurs with native .NET assemblies).

Regards,
Alex
Back to Top View Alex's Profile Search for other posts by Alex

Luca

Posted: 02 November 2006 at 9:39am | IP Logged Quote Luca

Thank you for your sincere answer. Personally I have experienced much more problems with .net framework (due to its versioning issues) than with com technology, but of course this is just my point of view (there are tons of sites pro and against .Net on the web, and each party has its good reasons).
I doubt that adding COM interface to .Net Objects would be very useful (as a developer, I don't want to force my end users to install .Net only because of a single component in my application, which is not a .Net one - I'd rather swich to a different component). What I suggest is that, when you discountinue development on ActiveX versions, you give your customers the option to buy the source code, as many component vendors do; that way, investments are preserved and, should any problems / incompatibilities come out, users could be able to fix them or anyway improve the components.
Back to Top View Luca's Profile Search for other posts by Luca

Andrew
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 02 November 2006 at 10:02am | IP Logged Quote Andrew

We're considering giving the source code if we discontinue developing new versions.

However, maintenance versions will still be released (if we encounter any bugs) even if we consider to stop major development of ActiveX version

Best regards,
Andrew
Back to Top View Andrew's Profile Search for other posts by Andrew

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version